Share this page
A 2004 ATF letter re: rewelds of machine gun receivers
Summary of Letter
Do not regard this summary as authoritative. This is only presented to improve searchability; please refer all serious inquiry to the scanned letter.
- Forward grip on Hungarian AMD-63 and AMD-65 rifles, for 922(r) purposes, is considered to be a part of the forearm.
- When designing semi-auto receiver for these rifles, receiver may not accept original components, and weapon must fire from closed bolt.
- Replacement receivers may be newly manufactured or built from demilled receiver pieces. Proper demil requires diagonal torch cuts in three critical locations, displacing at least 1/4" of material.
- If re-using receiver parts, the third hole and slotted right receiver rail must be removed.
- No need to serialize self-built weapons unless they're being transferred.
- C&R FFL does not authorize its holder to manufacture weapons for commercial resale.
-- SeanNewton - 23 Dec 2011
Would this information help out someone you know? Click here to share it!